Amway announced sales of $8.8 billion USD for the year ending Dec. 31, 2018, a two percent increase over 2017 sales numbers.
Growth was broad-based across many of Amway’s top markets including China, the U.S., Thailand and India, delivering an expected turnaround as the company enters its 60th year of doing business.
“Amway’s growth in sales is a result of our sharp focus on the experience Amway Business Owners and their customers have buying, selling and using Amway products,”
said Amway Co-Chairman Steve Van Andel.
“We’ll continue to make investments that enable every possible opportunity for ABO success.”
Amway attributes sales growth to significant investments in digital tools and mobile experiences as well as product innovations that have helped ABOs attract and retain more customers. This includes enabling more ecommerce and social selling, connecting additional products with digital experiences, and personalizing more nutrition and beauty products.
The results of investments in ecommerce are most evident in China, Amway’s largest market and a leader in the business’ digital innovations. In 2018, 70 percent of Amway China sales were made through mobile orders.
“Amway is capitalizing on the world’s growing appetite for ecommerce,”
said Amway Co-Chairman Doug DeVos.
“Momentum is building, investments in digital and innovative products are increasing, and healthy, steady growth is anticipated to continue for the foreseeable future.”
In addition to adding ecommerce and social selling capabilities, Amway introduced a number of new apps and initiatives to help ABOs manage their businesses on the go and enhance the shopping experience for customers, including:
- The Amway Business Center app available in the US, Canada and the Dominican Republic allows business owners to monitor and manage their business from the palm of their hand including registering, checking sales volume, viewing action reports and more.
- Nutrilite’s Traceability Program, introduced in China, Japan and Korea, is a unique differentiator in the marketplace that increases visibility into how every botanical in Nutrilite vitamins and supplements can be traced along every step of the ingredient journey showing the who, what, where and how behind our products. This program will continue to expand globally in 2019.
- Artistry’s Virtual Beauty app allows users to ‘try on’ different Artistry cosmetics and recommends skincare products. Approximately 260,000 people downloaded the app.
- Atmosphere Sky, Amway’s first connected device continued to rollout globally and its app, Atmosphere Connect, provides users air quality data remotely. In the US, units are being developed to be voice activated via Alexa.™
The business also combined investments in digital with its expertise in health, nutrition and beauty to leverage high demand for more natural and personalized health and beauty products. In nutrition, this included:
- The BodyKey SmartLoss program in the U.S., a holistic, personalized weight loss program that includes a new line of meal replacement shakes and the BodyKey SmartLoss app that serves as a personal coach, helping users achieve weight management goals and share their successes with others.
- Nutrilite Traditional Herbs launched in India, a mass-market priced line of Ayurvedic supplements that attracted a majority of younger, newer repeat customers.
For consumers looking for personalized beauty products that carry more natural ingredients, Amway launched:
- Artistry Signature Select Personalized Serums, a customizable facial treatment with up to three serums in one product that targets wrinkles and fine lines, anti-spot, firming, brightening, hydrating or a combination.
- Artistry Signature Select™ Masks include five masks that use Nutrilite™-sourced phytonutrients and is perfected by Artistry™ skin care experts with experiential colors, textures and scents.
- Artistry Studio, limited edition collections of on-trend, lifestyle brand of makeup and specialty bath and body products inspired by millennials launched globally, tripling the number of Artistry customers under the age of 35 and selling more than the past five Artistry trend collections combined.
All of these products and launches led to Amway’s overall growth, especially in the nutrition and beauty categories. Sales in nutrition and wellness were 52 percent of Amway’s market sales, up three percent from 2017. Beauty and personal care were 26%, up one percent.
“Amway’s innovative health and beauty products that are personalized and easy to use are producing strong results for us,”
said Amway Chief Operating Officer Mike Cazer.
“As we accelerate investments in these and other areas such as ecommerce and integrated digital experiences, Amway will go far beyond meeting consumer demand, driving continued growth well into the future.”
As Amway looks to 2019 and beyond, investments will increase in digital and product innovations as well as data and analytics to provide ABOs more insight into growing their businesses.
Amway will also accelerate e-commerce capabilities, expand traceability in nutrition, add more personalised products and experiences and continue to review global operations to ensure investments and resource allocations align with the business’ strategic focus.
“Amway’s cause of helping people build businesses of their own has never been more relevant than right now,”
said Amway Chief Executive Officer Milind Pant.
“People around the world like the idea of entrepreneurship and Amway will continue to fuel the infectious humanity and passion they and Amway Business Owners bring to their businesses each day.”
Amway’s top ten markets include China, Korea, the US, Japan, Thailand, Taiwan, India, Russia, Malaysia and Italy. Sales were consistent with the prior year in Korea, Russia and Malaysia. Japan and Taiwan saw modest declines.
Amway is a family-owned, $8.6 billion direct selling company based in Ada, Michigan, USA that is committed to helping people live healthier, more empowered lives. Top-selling brands for Amway are Nutrilite™ vitamin, mineral and dietary supplements, Artistry™ skincare and color cosmetics, eSpring™ water treatment systems and XS™ energy drinks – all sold exclusively by Amway Business Owners.
Global sales in 2017 made Amway the No. 1 direct selling business in the world, according to the 2018 Direct Selling News Global 100. The company’s annual sales figure includes revenue from direct selling operations and other business holdings.
Want to read the 10 reviews on Amway? Click here for Amway Review!